Friday, July 29, 2011

I Am 29.

I turned 29 this month.

It is almost surreal! 

I keep thinking about my early and mid-twenties.  In my early twenties, I fell in love for the first time. It was hardcore, crazy-stalker love.  When the love was gone, I was devastated. 

But I was 21.

So I did what any single, 21 year old would do: I took it to the bars!

I moved from the peaceful suburbs to the city.  Dated like it was my job.  I was careless and fun and confident. Not reckless: I paid my bills and went to work but not playing-it-safe either. 

It was me, my friends, cute boys, cocktails and dancing.  Every weekend. Every year.  For 2 years.
So 104 weekends of living it up to the max.  And the weekends started on Thursdays in college.  So that is 312 nights of partying.

I am exhausted just thinking about it!

At 23, I met Geo.  I was ready to calm down and he was ready to break out of his video-game-focused life.

I wanted to show him the world and he wanted to give it to me.

A year later, we moved in together. 

For the next 3 years, we bounced around to different apartments but settled into our routine.  Had our ups and downs and ups.  It was bliss!

We got engaged when I was 26, almost 27.

I panicked.  I had always worried about divorce and  not making it as a couple/family but getting engaged took my natural-panicfilled-life to the next level.  I went nuts. I got better.  We moved forward.

We got married when I was 27, almost 28.

Our first year of marriage was wonderful!  I can write that in past-tense because we are techinically on our second year :)

It's so interesting to see my twenties come to a close.  I'm not sad or scared about getting older... I'm more interested in seeing what curves and turns and twists are ahead.

Thought I am still dipping my toes into 29, I am excited to see what will have this last year for my twenties.  It was a deadline for many big events (married by 29, have a baby by 29, go to Europe by 29) but now that it is here, I see it as a "goal line" and less definate.

How are all of you with aging?  Do you take it in stride?  Do you get a little freaky when big events take place?  Tell me I am not the only one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment