Sunday, October 17, 2010

You and Me - The Honeymoon: Part Deux

So far we loved whale watching, walking around Hyannis and exploring Martha's Vineyard but we were ready for some beach time.

The wonderful perk of renting a cottage was the family who we rented from, gave us their Barnstable Beaches Pass, allowing us access to the private, town-owned beaches!

And with a little stalking research, I found a beach we could spend the day at right by this kind-of-a-big-deal house...

IT'S THE KENNEDY FAMILY COMPOUND!!

I won't bore you with the 17 pictures I took from this single angle, but I was very, very excited to see Camelot and the grandeur that comes with the last name Kennedy.

The Mister soaked up the sun and got some reading in...


while I took more pictures of sand dunes and the landscape ... 


I was hell-bent on getting a couple-shot so I found some rocks to place the camera on, had the Mister pose,  got the shot right, set the timer on the camera and RAN into place next to the Mister.  Not a bad shot, huh?


As I am sure you noticed, I do not know how to relax.  This is literally something the Mister and I work on.  I often get antsy.  This turns into me needing to release energy, which leads into me wanting him to get up and do something with me, which results in him having no relaxation time.

But there is something in the air that made me slow down.  I don't know if it was the "honeymoon bliss", the easiness of the Cape lifestyle or that I am a water sign (Cancer) and I was always just steps away from the water, but this trip, I was understanding relaxation!

 We loved our day re-lax-ing at the beach!  And the weather could not had been any better and we were in a Cape Cod-state-of-mind.

The next day we spent time in Mashpee and other towns on the Cape.  

On Thursday, we went to Nantucket and found heaven.

We enter the Nantucket Sound with a greeting from a light house and wood sailboats bobbing in the water...



Once docked, we rented bikes and set-off to discover the island.  First, we went to see that charming light house that greeted us on arrival.

The beaches on Nantucket are privately but the owners allow the public to access as long as they are respectful.  This includes not taking any seashells or leaving any trash. 


But the beaches are LOADED with shells and we thought it would be the perfect souvenir of our time in Nantucket.  So we took just one, large clam shell to remember our time on the island and our one moment of being rebels!

We hopped on our bikes and went back to the village for some breakfast.  I saw on the Today Show that one of their anchor's all-time favorite pancake spots was Black-Eyed Susan's on Nantucket.  So this was a must for us to eat at.


Their blueberry pancakes were to die for!  I usually pass on pancakes and waffles and lean towards eggs and bacon.  I made an exception and it was TOTALLY worth it.

After breakfast, we got back on our bike and began our mission to find a beach.  On the way, we saw the oldest house on the island...


and biked down Cobblestone Hill Lane: the road to the rich!  The stones made for a uncomfortable ride, so we decided to walk the bikes. 


 (my amateur landscape photographer moment)



Then we found our beach.  It was just, the water, the sand and the breeze.  That was all we needed.  Nantucket was our favorite place ever!



Of course, it was also the worst batch of pictures we took.  The sun was so bright, I didn't realize the exposure had been messed up through the view finder. But the memories are forever.

The next day was our last day.  We lounged around Hyannis, visited our first Trader Joe's, started packing and went out to our last dinner at The Paddock.



(ugh, not my favorite picture... damn timer was too fast and this is the best shot out of 6 tries)

This was by far our FAVORITE trip to date.  NYC is a close second but the romance of being on our honeymoon is unmatched.

The summer flew by after our trip but our newly wed glow remains...



What was your favorite trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment