Thursday, February 3, 2011

Super Bowl Snacks: Our Quest for the Golden Spoon

For the past 3 years, our group of friends have gotten together for every Super Bowl to watch the game and fight for foodie glory! 

Our mission: Make the best appetizer.

Our prize: The Golden Spoon!


LOL... it's a wooden spoon with gold metallic paint but boy, does that thing carry some heavy bragging right for the year!

We are the current Gold Spoon Champions and we are excited to compete again this year!

I've been trying to find something DELICIOUS but low-fat, low-cal and low sugar.  y.u.m.

I've been looking at my Hungry Girl cookbook and I think I have some ideas!

I'm thinking her Fiber-Fake-Fried Onion rings (since they are savory, crunchy and George and I can eat a ton worry-free)...

Mmmm... thank you http://www.hungrygirl.com/ !

Another option might be the Fiber-ific Fried Chicken Fingers...



But I'm still not 100% sold.

I have people to impress and a Golden Spoon to fight for!

George and I are known for our chicken nachos.  Like, people request us to bring them to fancy dinner parties because they are that good (the tricky: a hot, hot, hot oven and non-liquid producing toppings go first).

Buuuut, we can't use chips. 

So we got to thinking: what if we make chips?  What if we make them from veggies?

We are thinking BAKED zucchini chips...


Now we need a low-fat topping... low fat blue-cheese?  Maybe Bethany Frankle's Skinny Girl version?

Blue Cheese Dip:
•1 container (8 ounces) reduced fat vegetable cream cheese, softened
•1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 4 ounces)
•1 tsp. garlic powder
•1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
•1 tsp. minced fresh parsley
•1 tsp. minced fresh dill weed

Dare I sprinkle crispy turkey bacon?  I don't know?!  We might be on to something here.  It's different but it could be amazing!

I will probably make the onion rings for real snacking and the chips for a taste or two.

What do you think?  Do the veggie chips sound good?

What are you all making?  GO BILLS! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment