Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Check List

As you know, George and I are hosting his family for Thanksgiving.  Yes, there will be about 18 of us packed into the first floor (cause the second floor is a bathroom and 3 bedrooms... boring) of our 1600 sq ft. colonial. 

But it's cool because we are in full-planning mode.

First, I have made my lists and have checked them 200 times.

List one: Wegmans!


Many of you are familiar with Wegmans or already adore the majesty that is WEGMANS.  However, where I am from, Wegmans is more than a store.  It's a way of life.  A respected institution.  Mecca.  It is our city.  Wegmans was founded in my hometown.  It employs a third of George's family and thousands in our area. Sure, there are a few other places to shop for groceries but none are as trusted as Wegmans.  People suffer through the economic hardships and lack of opportunity in our area because we know Wegmans is a catalyst for change.  They drive pricing competition (I know, I worked in PR for their top competitor), quality standards, green efforts, and bring other businesses to our area. 

And no one said it better than Alec Baldwin's mom - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqEUYzOpvZ0

Okay, enough of my Wegmans obsession and back to the list.

List one: Wegmans
2 turkeys - one 15 lbs. and one 22 lbs.
3 servings batches of green bean casserole
2 cans of corn
4 bags of dried bread cubes for stuffing
Parsley, Thyme, Sage
Onion, celery and carrots
Yams
Marshmellows
Butter - 1 box of each salted and unsalted
Poultry seasoning
Nutmeg
Allspice
2 boxes of chicken broth
2, 5-lbs bags of potatoes
Cream cheese (for potatoes)
Sour cream (for potatoes)

List two: Perkins... I am getting some assistance on dessert cause sister needs a break!
1 peanut butter silk pie
1 pecan pie

List three: Liquor Store a.k.a. - my happy place... more on my wine interest later
1 box of Black Box Riesling
1 box of Big House Red
3 bottles of red wine
3 bottles of white wine

List four: Decor
Paper plates (the fancy brand)
Plastic utensils (the fancy brand)
Snack plates
Festive napkins
Clear cups (the fancy brand)
Brown craft paper - 1 roll
Crayons
Area rug
coffee table
Table clothes
Flowers
Folding chairs
Folding tables

Ahh, nothing better than seeing a bunch of tasks crossed off!

As you can see, we have a good start!   There are a few more things we need but we are getting there.  I anxious to finish up and start cooking.  We both took off Wednesday so we will get the rest of the items, start some prep work and make a few dishes ahead of time.

I would love to have grace but, as I mentioned before, George's family isn't religious.  So I am thinking about having a "Moment of Thanks".  We can all go around saying what we are thankful for.  I know this might open me up to some gruff but I want to start some traditions.  So we will see.

How are your plans coming along?  What new or old traditions do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment