Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thanksgiving a la Martha: My Mother, My Mentor

True story, when I was younger, I told people that I was Martha Stewart's daughter she put up for adoption and people believed me.  I'm not sure what's worse; that I told this bold-face lie or that people believed it.

Yes, I was mesmerized by the Martha Stewart lifestyle at a young age.  So it was no surprise that when I was getting married, she was my first point of reference for guidance and support through the planning process.

Now that I am married, a homeowner and starting a family, she is still my go-to source for all things cooking/entertaining/crafting/organizing/decorating.  I may not find the most of-the-moment ideas from her but she has the classics down.

So when I started planning our first Thanksgiving dinner for George's 20 family members, I immediately went to MarthaStewart.com and got my inspiration on.

After much research and testing (on roasting chickens) we are going with Martha's Herb-Roasted Turkey...


I love chopping the fresh herbs, mixing them in soft butter then rubbing the mixture all over. 

Next, and almost as important as the turkey, is the stuffing...



This is her Simple Stuffing that I am going to jazz up a touch with brown butter sage.

I also plan on turning to the Crockpot for help.

First I am going to make "Company's Coming" mashed potatoes.  They are a staple in my family and I hope George's family will love them too.  You make these the day before then put in the Crockpot to warm the day of.  They have butter, cream cheese and sour cream... fat, fat and fat so you know they are good!

Martha has a version very similar too:

Big Martha's Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese
3 1/2 pounds white or Yukon Gold potatoes
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed

Directions

1.Place potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a medium pot, cover with cold water by 2 inches, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Drain, and let stand until just cool enough to handle. Rub off skins, and discard. Cut potatoes into large pieces.

2.Combine potatoes, cream cheese, butter, milk, and 1/4 cup cream in a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat until combined. Season with salt and pepper, and beat to desired consistency.

3.Return mashed potatoes to pot, and place over medium heat. Add remaining cream, and cook, stirring constantly, until heated through. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a covered bowl over simmering water for up to 2 hours.
______________

I also will be tapping a candied yams souffle from the Food Network...


Mmmm...

And finally, my all time favorite side dish: Green bean casserole by Campbell's



I remember my first official Thanksgiving with George's family.  It was just after our 1 year anniversary and it was my first time not having dinner with my Mom.  I asked George to ask his family if they planned on having green bean casserole and, if not, would it be okay for me to bring it.  Well, his family had never had it and they were fine with me bringing something. 

I poured my heart into that dish!  I was so worried about it being not too soupy, not too bland and the crunchy onion topping still had to be crunchy.  My efforts paid off... it was a hit!  I have brought this to every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner since.

I will make homemade cranberries with orange zest and maybe roast root vegatable or squash, but the above are all in place.

Now I have to figure out a chocolate dessert since his aunt is bringing her famous (not joking) pies.  Don't worry, I know just who to turn to...

No comments:

Post a Comment