Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Our Wandering Jew(ish)

Yes, Wandering Jew is the name of this plant...


(And I have to say the whole word... it's just not right otherwise)

Anyhow, I needed something fresh but not overly springy for our dining room table.  I have this great, white pedestal bowl that my mom gave us as an engagement present.  It's wide and deep so knew I needed something big to go into it. 

I had thought about throwing some dirt and seeds in it and trying to make a wheatgrass centerpiece kind of like this...


I love the look and TOTALLY want to do this around Easter time as a chic alternative to creepy bunnies and technocolor grass.

So when we were at Wegmans last weekend, I stopped at the floral department to see what they had.  I loved the seeded eucalyptus but couldn't figure out how to put that in the bowl.

Then I saw a sale on hanging plants.  And then I saw this perfect plant; with dark green, light green, light purple, deep purple leaves and sprouts.   It was $6.99 and PERFECT!!

Then I read the name: Wandering Jew(ish).  Yep, leave it to me to find the most politically incorrect named plant ever!  But it's cool, cause I have nothing but love for this Wandering Jew(ish).

So I grabbed the plant, came home, cut off the hanger, popped into the white pedestal bowl and vola!



Love!

It's a nice way to remind me that spring is just around the corner.  Even though it is -3 with a windchill making it feel like -15 degrees. 



Yes, it's still in the pot it came in.  And yes, those are MacKenzie-Childs salt and pepper shakers - a birthday present from Aaron and Amy!


(okay, just one more pic cause I love the contrast!)

Do you have any house plants?  This is our first.  Here's to hoping I grow a green thumb!

Happy Tuesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment