Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Dress: Part Deux

TO MY MISTER: SORRY, YOU CAN'T READ THIS POST. MY DRESS IS BELOW!

My first dress shopping experience was a nightmare (The Dress: Part Une). I do admit that I brought that experience on myself. I should have never gone without a person I trust that could be my ally against the strong, saleswomen forces.


Two months after my first shopping experience, I was ready to try again. I called my mom and my girls, I scheduled two appointments; one at David's Bridal, one at Alfred Angelo.

I knew David's would have actual sizes for me to try on so I was looking forward to that. And after talking to a full-figured friend, I found out that Alfred Angelo would very likely have my size as well. This could be the day :)
It was a perfect fall Saturday. I woke up early, took a walk, put on my best bridal outfit and makeup (you know exactly what I am talking about! a polished outfit and flushed cheeks is my look) and made a cup of tea to go. I was excited but calm.

Then I walked in the door to David's and that sense of calm run right back out! It was a crazed morning with about 8 brides and their entire wedding parties (panic trigger #1). The saleswoman takes me to my size and tells me to select three dresses; none of which I had on my favorite list (panic trigger #2). I found three dresses to try on but I had no interest in.

Next we were taken to fitting room. All the brides and their parties were corralled around the center mirror (panic trigger #3). I tried on the first dress.
I stepped out of the fitting room and my mom cried. I told her it was okay but to save the tears for THE dress! My friend's wife wore this dress at their wedding and we would have about 20 of the same guest, I couldn't go with this one.

I tried on the second dress. Pretty yes but just not me.


The third made me run right back to the fitting room. There was too much volume around my waist and hips (panic trigger #4) and I was D.O.N.E.


The saleswoman said she would go pull a few dresses I might like. I looked at the saleswoman (with what had to be an exhausted look on my face) and simply said "I think I am a little overwhelmed. Could we have the girls look for dresses now?" She understood and turned her focus on the girls.


I felt so frumpy and un-bridal. I had tried on a total of 4 dresses at this point and all looked horrible. I was discouraged and nervous about finding a dress that would magically make me thin, beautiful, elegant and bridal!


After a little lunch at Panera Bread (Fuji apple salad... num, num, num) my mom, my sister and I went to Alfred Angelo.

I showed the saleswomen, Lisa, what I had liked from online. She notice that I favored lace and A-line were the styles. She pulled some dresses and brought me to a fitting room. I tried on the first dress and liked it; making progress. I tried on the second dress and liked it; two for two. But while in the second dress I saw a bride getting her final fitting in a beautiful dress. I whisper to Lisa, "could I try that dress?".


Lisa comes back with a dress. It was a few sizes too big but we could get a good idea of how it looks because of the corset back.


As she laced up the back, I felt special in the dress and I hadn't even seen myself in it yet. I open the door, catch a glimpse of me in a mirror across the room and I had to catch my breathe.


My mom smiles, my sister's mouth dropped and Lisa says "I think this could be the one!"

I take my place on the pedestal and I found myself as a bride!



My dream is now my dress. It is ivory, with three tiers of frost lace and a inch of beading at the neckline. Simple yet special, elegant yet understated. It was me!


How was finding your dress? Was it not what you thought it would be in a good or not-so-good way?


Most importantly, is your dress the bridal attire version of your personality?

source: pics 1,2,3 - www.davidsbridal.com and the rest are from moi.

No comments:

Post a Comment