Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mo'money, Mo'problems

In the words of Puffy and Biggie, mo'money means mo'problems!

I am a slacker. No, strike that, I am not a good saver. As you know, I was laid off in July and I have not been able to find work yet. My wedding calendar had us doing our engagement photos in August but, financially, we just couldn't do it. And to be honest, I wasn't sure how we were going to pay for the wedding overall!


So in August, I reevaluated our wedding budget and start making cuts.
First item to cut was my shoes...




source: http://www.barneys.com/

I had visions of fabulous detail photos showing off my twinkle-toes and flaunting Mr. Blahnik's famous label! ~Sigh~ However, $700 shoes are not a necessity and therefore, (insert "chop" sound) they had to be cut.

That one hurt but I had to rebound because the next was going to be worse.

The Bar -




source: Google Image


Our families like to have a good time. And that "good time" is usually fueled by a fully stocked bar. But the Mister and I aren't over indulging drinkers and neither one of us want to deal with the sloppiness that would likely result in having a full bar. Okay, and it could TOTALLY save us some cash.


So (insert "chop" sound) the full bar is cut! We are having beer and wine only. And taking that one step further, we are having only 2 hours of open bar and wine service during dinner.


Another tough one was the wedding photography. I had wanted the works and gave it the budget to match! I knew we had to trim but didn't know how low we could go while still having quality. So for the last two months, I have been investigating local photographers, talking to friends, negotiating and bartering.


And last week, we found our photographer!


Watching the budget trim down was liberating! Suddenly we knew what "mo'money, mo'problems' really meant.

Our bigger budget wedding was causing us financial stress. Our basic budget wedding has become the wedding of our dreams... Less money, less problems!

Have you had to trim, cut and edit your wedding budget? What were some of your cuts? Did you find that less-is-more?

No comments:

Post a Comment