Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Turkey Trot Trial

I found my dress! The only thing that would make me love my dress even more is if I wear 20 pounds less when I wear it for the wedding.

It's a sad thought but it's true. And losing weight and getting healthy has less to do with the wedding and more to do with the fact that I gained so much weight in the past three years (not healthy to gain so much in a short period of time) and that the Mister and I plan on trying for a baby within the first 6-9 months of marriage.

Okay, that must have been a lot to take in so let's flip it and reverse it so we are all on the same page!

Yes, the Mister and I plan on starting our family early on in our marriage. We would be trying now if I wouldn't be 7 months pregnant when we walk down the aisle! He is very ready and I am almost ready; the wedding is preventing me from the 100% marker... oh, and that I don't have a job and that we live with the Mister's sister right now. Story for another time.

We both would agree that we would like to have our first child by 30 since we want to have a break between children. And since I am a nervous-nelly, I would like to be done having children by 34 in effort to prevent complications during pregnancy and birth. With that, I would like to be healthy prior to pregnancy to reduce risks even more and to keep up with the babies!

As for the weight gain in a short period of time, well that is easy to explain. I had a demanding job that left me exhausted at the end of the day. The last thing on my mind was exercising and all I wanted was comfort food to ease my stress at the end of the day.

I feel like I need a fitness goal to work towards and a goal in the near future to keep me focused. So I thought about what I could do to start getting me in shape and maybe drop a few lbs at the same time.

Then it hit me: Thanksgiving!

Yes, the day of gorging would be the perfect day to reach my first fitness goal.

A local running group will be hosting their 37th annual Turkey Trot - a 4.4 mile run around a local park. The run starts at 9 am and would get me home in plenty of time for turkey!

4.4 miles for someone who does not workout might be a lot to accomplish in a 8-week training period. Especially since it typically snows here for Thanksgiving. The additional plus about this race is that it offers a 2.2 mile run as well. So should it be a blustery day, I can alter my run to fit my capabilities.

I am looking for a training schedule to fit my abilities and my time frame. Any suggestions on where to look?

Are you looking to get in shape for your wedding? What methods are you utilizing to reach your goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment