Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Relationships Come...

... and relationships go. Despite age, years together or intensity, the loss of love can sting, burn, cripple and numb even the strongest of people.

I got a dreaded phone call from my little brother (he's 23 and not-so-little) this morning. His girlfriend of 3 years has broken up with him. He is heartbroken.

I find myself crying for him as I write this post; for him, his broken heart and because I know exactly how he is feeling.

This was his third relationship that lasted over 2 years. But this most recent relationship was a different. They made plans. They complimented each other. She was becoming family.

I had a devastating breakup too. All breakups are hard but, similar to my brother's, we had plans and he was becoming family.

I am grateful that my brother turns to me for support. I am a fixer. I have a hard time just listening to problems when there is no solution or no way for me to help. With friends, I can listen and offer support without a problem. But with family, I want to fix and make the problem go away.

Now, I won't be able to heal a broken heart but I can make suggestions on how to keep occupied, how to advance, looking at what lessons could be learned for the next relationship, etc.

But the hardest thing is knowing how much my brother can love. And knowing how hard it is for him to accept love. And worse, how long it takes him to trust. I know he will love again but I hope he can trust again.

No wedding plans today. Just positive vibes out to my brother. BIG HUGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment