Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Going to the... Chapel? Church? Garden? Theater?... and We're Going to Get Married!


I grew up in the Catholic Church and the Mister was raised with faith but not formal religion.

I was baptized, made my communion and confirmation and was the first female alter server at my church (my claim to religious fame!). And I always thought I would get married in my church.

Confession: I booked the church MONTHS BEFORE we were engaged because I feared all weekends being booked! That is how determined I was to get married at my church.
Once we were engaged and started planning, we found the restriction at my church a little tight. Actually, REALLY TIGHT! By tight I mean:
1. Restricted music list
2. Restricted reading list
3. No flowers on the alter
4. No flowers on the unity candle table
5. No flowers, petals, confetti to be thrown
6. The price tag was... alarming
I knew the music and readings would be an issue but I didn't foresee everything else.
On this day, when we become husband and wife, we want as many personal touches as we can possibly have. After all, this day is a celebration of our marriage!
The more I see ceremonies that are personal to the couple, the more I want that: The Us Factor.
The Mister is on board with whatever I decide. I keep coming up with scenarios that give us the ceremony we want but keep me connected to my church. Maybe have our painist just play our songs without the church's approve? Maybe have the flower girls bring down wagons filled with flowers for some color? Maybe have the ceremony somewhere else and attend church on Sunday for a blessing?
I just can't decide but I know if we don't have the ceremony at my church, my mom will be disappointed.
So what is a bride to do? Is anyone else torn between tradition and wants?



No comments:

Post a Comment