Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Twice Married, Once Wed.

Did I mention I am sick? I am one sick chick right now. I have the worst cough, chest congestion, sore throat and, because I am coughing so much, abdominal pain and headaches.

It has been over a week of this and I am not getting any better. In fact, I'm getting worse. So I am taking the financial plunge and I am going to the doctors... without health insurance.

I have to admit, I am scared. I find myself thinking of worst case scenarios. What if I have swine flu? What if I have bronchitis? What if I have a lung disease? I am sure many are thinking "Wow Chic, way to be a hypochondriac."


My response: Have you seen Michael Moore's "Sicko"?
Well I have. And let me tell you, it scared the heck out of me (but it was really good)!
My biggest fear is the "pre-existing condition" clause.
HowStuffWorks.com defines it as: a pre-existing condition is a health condition or illness that you have had before your first day of coverage on a new plan.

This pre-existing condition could prevent you from qualifying for insurance coverage. So should I have something more serious, that can't be cured with a pill, I easily could be denied health care coverage.

The Mister and I have been talking about this predicament. He has health insurance through his company and I could be added to his policy once we are married or in January during open enrollment.

Halloween will mark our 4-year anniversary and could be the day we are officially married in the eyes of the great State of New York.

Yes, we are thinking about making it legal this month so I can get health insurance. It might not be the most romantic gesture to some but to me it is. This is the Mister taking care of me because he know he needs me just as much as I need him.

We aren't co-dependent but we do want to spend forever together and we need to be healthy to do so.

These are crazy times and sometimes you need to do something crazy to get through. So we might get married twice but we will only have one wedding. But let's face it, I will have to plan a little lunch to celebrate! After all, we will be married :)

Has one thought about making it legal before your actual wedding day? How did you do it and are you making it special?
source: pic 1 and pic 2 - Google Image

No comments:

Post a Comment